Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response Information
As the coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to impact everyone’s daily lives, City leaders are committed to ensuring the correct measures are taken to preserve the health and wellness of the community and City employees. Some of the measures may cause inconveniences, however it is important to observe and follow CDC Guidelines recommending social distancing to prevent the community spread of the coronavirus.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- White House Coronavirus Guidelines for America
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH) - COVID-19 Updates Page
- Kings County Public Health Department
- Stop COVID-19 in Kings County (Video)
- Local Hotlines for general assistance programs
The City of Avenal City Council on Tuesday March 24th 2020 has declared a local emergency related to the COVID-19 outbreak. Please read the declaration here: https://www.cityofavenal.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=325
The City Council has has also adopted an emergency ordinance to prevent the occurrence of price gouging and unfair advantage of consumers/ Se adoptado una ordenanza de emergencia para evitar que se produzca un aumento de precios y una ventaja injusta de los consumidores.
Please read Mayor Dagoberto Ovalle’s letter to the community here about the current crisis.
Public Facility Restricted Access
The City of Avenal has announced the restriction of public access to all City facilities, including the Avenal Theater and Event Center, starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 8:00 a.m. All facilities, including Avenal City Hall (as of Tuesday, March 24, 2020) will be closed to the public until further notice.
Utility Payments are currently still being accepted in-person at City Hall, though online payments are preferred. Click here for a tutorial on paying your utility bill online.
All City-sponsored events have been cancelled until further notice.
The Reef-Sunset Unified School District (RSUSD) has announced the closure of all schools and suspension of all school-sponsored events and activities through April 14, 2020. Read more at https://www.rsusd.net/
Public Transit (KART) - Schedule Change
Effective March 23, 2020 Kings Area Rural Transit (KART)has temporarily changed its route schedule. Please view the new temporary schedule by clicking the link below.
Local Restaurants and Grocery Stores
- La Galeria Cafe - Delivery and Online Ordering Available, Assistance with Grocery Pickup for Elderly
- La Carreta - Open for takeout, no delivery
- Chalios - Open for takeout, no delivery
- Taqueria La Piedad - Open for takeout, no delivery
- Super Burger - Open for takeout & delivery, Front Door Closed
- Subway - Open for takeout, no delivery
- Los Primos Bakery - Open for takeout, no delivery
- La Nueva Reyna - Open for takeout & delivery
Small Business Resources
The Small Business Administration (SBA) is offering Disaster Loan Assistance to small businesses impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak. Follow the links below for more information.